Its not my fault...

Have any of you gotten to the point where you've decided something in your life must be evil or decided "I'm not using it anymore!" ?? I've started to feel that way this week about a couple different things in my life and this morning at Bible study, I was reminded that often times, getting rid of it altogether is the wrong response. How often do we do that? I'll take care of this by just getting it out of my life -- leaving aside practicing self control.
Obviously there are some areas in our lives that we need to get rid of. When its sin, its wrong, no matter how we look at it, or want to justify it. Although that is true, I'm starting to realize that instead of seeing OURSELVES as the problem (in most cases), we like to act like the outlet is the problem. There's nothing wrong with doing online shopping... there IS something wrong with sitting on the computer and spending way too much money and time on things you don't really even need. Over indulging.
There's nothing wrong with having a telephone. There IS something wrong with using that phone to sin... gossiping, slander, hearing things you shouldn't, wasting time that should be spent doing more profitable things, etc...
This week my issue was email. I felt like it was a terrible thing that was invented, when in fact, it has been used to get God's word spread, keep in contact with dear friends of mine and it helps me to stay off the phone for hours at a time, by being able to jot off a 5 minute email. I do, however, get tired of being misunderstood through email, feeling like I have to put a smiley after every sentence, worrying that people will read into things where they shouldn't.
So, while emailing can bring a lot of issues with it; people feeling the freedom to say things they'd never say to your face, not really hearing the person's voice, so you've got hurt feelings when there's no need, inappropriate spam coming your way and you neglecting to block it, spending time on email that should be spend with God, your family and others, etc... Its not email that's wrong, its how we're using it! I suddenly realized -- stop blaming everything else but yourself! Quit acting like if I could get rid of this thing, my problems would be gone. Maybe I need to control my tongue more? My thoughts toward others? My motives? How I desire to spend my time? Getting rid of email is not going to make those sin issues in my life go away. I'll just use them in some other area.
I know this seems like a tangent (and it kind of is!) but its really something I've been giving a lot of thought to this week. Food isn't evil, its the over indulgence of it that is wrong. Getting rid of food or sweets is not going to suddenly take care of MY sin issue with food.
Anyway, just some "food" for thought. :) I'd love to hear your comments on areas where you've known this to be true. In our Bible study at church we're reading the book Lies Women Believe and this issue is a biggy.
So please... feel free to comment!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Steph,
Wow! Thanks for sharing...you put into words what I have been feeling for a long time. It seems like I always come up with a distraction to just get away mentally from the exhausting task of being a mom. First it was the TV, then a computer game, then the internet, then...you get the picture. I got so hooked on these things one at a time, it helped me check out for a while. The Lord has been burdening my heart, asking me: what about My time?, shouldn't you be reading to your kids? or playing a game with them?..that kind of stuff. I really appreciate your openness and willingness to share. Thank you!
Stef said…
You're welcome, Jenn! I'm glad you enjoyed the post. The Lord has been teaching me a lot through the studies I'm in and one of the things has been to take a step back, look at my life; what I feel my moments with and to stop using the (all too famous excuse) "I just don't have time". I do have time and I especially have time for Him. I've been purposing (by His grace) to not touch the phone, my computer or the TV until my Bible/prayer time is done first. Its been hard some days, but He's been blessing it still. Thanks for your comment!!
Stef said…
that's supposed to say "what I FILL my moments with" :)
jillyco said…
Thanks for sharing Stef. The computer can be so time consuming, that our time with the Lord gets pushed aside. The TV can also be a huge distraction for me. We are called to redeem the time wisely, yet it's so easy to fill our time with other things and push aside the really important things. Anyway, thanks for the post.
Stef said…
You're welcome! Something we're learning in our book is that one of the lies Satan tries to get us to think is: "but this is MY time and I deserve to relax, after ALL the work I've done." So we push aside what's important because our desire and thirst for it has diminished, since we've put other things in its place.
jillyco said…
Hey guess what!? I just ordered the "Lies..." book on Paperback Swap! :)
What you say is so true. I believe that Satan really can tempt us to use good things such as e-mail, telephone calls, tv, etc. to rob us time with the Lord. That is truly what will refresh us and give us the grace to persevere in our roles as wives, mothers, daughters, sister, etc. That is such a good idea to not use the potential time wasters before you have your quiet time with the Lord. I am going to try to do that starting tomorrow. Good post!
Stef said…
Thanks! I love all the responses I'm getting. You've been encouraging and its always nice to know we're in this journey together; learning and growing together. :)
laura said…
This is the kind of reminder I need posted on my refrigerator. TV and computer are especially distractions in our home and we frequently have the "We need to burn our TV" conversation...and yet we never do. ;-) Thanks for the encouragement!
Stef said…
haha! we've done that too, Laura. Many times. With computers, TV, radio, etc... we've thought of becoming Amish several times. :)
Stef said…
You're welcome! Something we're learning in our book is that one of the lies Satan tries to get us to think is: "but this is MY time and I deserve to relax, after ALL the work I've done." So we push aside what's important because our desire and thirst for it has diminished, since we've put other things in its place.

Popular posts from this blog

One Thousandth blog post + GIVEAWAY!!

Blog Giveaway!!

keeping the sickies away