back to the basics


For the past several months Jason and I have been trying to get better with recycling, eating as close to 100% organic and locally grown as possible (but not being freaky about it) and making better usage of our energy sources. Another thing he's asked me to do is to try and use less chemicals in cleaning around the house. Sometimes after I clean the shower, our entire bathroom smells toxic and it seriously can't be good for us. Especially me, being pregnant.

I've been looking online for some tips (Sara Snow is an absolute favorite of mine - she has very creative ideas!) and one thing every website had in common, was to replace the harsh, chemical smelling scrubbing stuff (like Comet Cleanser) with basic Baking Soda. I didn't believe it would do nearly as good of a job as other stuff, so I went to Target, spend the $0.69 cents for the box and brought it home to clean my showers.
It did an awesome job and smelled good the whole time! It actually took off some of the rust stains that were forming from the shower caddy! I was amazed. I'm excited to try some other healthier alternatives and what's really got me excited is that its all way cheaper!

I still hold tightly to my Clorox wipes though. I know that is probably so bad, but I'm yet to find something that works just as good and doesn't cost $5.99+ for a small package. I keep checking at Costco, since they've started selling Method products (which we love) but they're yet to start selling those in bulk... if you want to check out their website and some pretty awesome bulk packages here is the link.

Comments

Emily said…
Simple Green is a great non-toxic cleaner that is environmentally friendly. It is mild smelling and does a great job on things like sinks and countertops. I use is all the time.
Stef said…
Yes! Simple Green is a new favorite of mine as well. I haven't found shower cleaner or anything like that in that brand though. Mainly just basis sink cleaner, window and surface.
I will have to try the baking soda for sure. Clorox has started making green products & also, their ANYWHERE SPRAY is so good & very very safe. (Can you tell our family friend works at CLOROX???) :)
Stef said…
We love the Anywhere spray! I use it every other night in sanitizing the playroom toys. We also use it after bath time... you never know what gets on those toys. :)
Emily Bertholic said…
Simple Green is a great non-toxic cleaner that is environmentally friendly. It is mild smelling and does a great job on things like sinks and countertops. I use is all the time.

Popular posts from this blog

One Thousandth blog post + GIVEAWAY!!

Blog Giveaway!!

keeping the sickies away