Make Ahead Breakfast

Last night I decided to mix things up a bit around here and make something yummy for breakfast. I get so tired of oatmeal, cold cereal, eggs and pancakes, so I pulled out one of our all time favorites. I often make this when we have company over for breakfast and growing up, it was Christmas morning breakfast. I've posted this before on our other website, but thought I'd share again. I also have added one or two ingredients that we like. I'll put an asterisk** next to the ones I added.

Make Ahead Breakfast

8-10 slices of sourdough bread - torn into small pieces
1 lb. breakfast sausage meat, browned
8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese

1 small onion, finely chopped
*1 (4 oz.) can mild green chilis
4 eggs beated (*I add 5 eggs)
2 cups milk (*I add 2 1/2)
1 can cream of mushroom soup

Spray the bottom of your 9x13 inch pan. Put bread pieces in the bottom and then put the cooked meat on top of the bread. In a separate bowl mix together the onion, *chilis, eggs, milk and soup - pour that mixture over the bread and meat.
Spread cheddar cheese on top.

Bake at 325 for 45 minutes -- its called Make Ahead because it tastes the best when it sits at least 24 hours in your fridge before cooking.

Enjoy!

Comments

Trisha said…
Yes, take my word for it as well- this is delicious! I make this for Christmas morning almost every year.
Amy Gannaway said…
This is one of my favorites too!! To mix things up, sometimes I use cream of broccoli soup and artisan bread...yummy:)
Stef said…
oh, yummy! that sounds good, Amy.
jillyco said…
Thanks for posting this again Stef! I have been wanting to make breakfast one day per week, once we start school, and this will be a great one to make!
Stef said…
Jill, when I first read your comment I was thinking "who makes breakfast for her kids?!" and then I realized you don't have a bunch of toddlers anymore. I still cannot get used to that. :)
We ate the entire 9x13 inch pan in one day... we had it for breakfast, Rachel requested more for lunch and then we all ate it again for dinner. Crazy pigs, I know.
big hair betty said…
Yum, this sounds good!! I love the make ahead idea! But, some nights, I'm just too tired to "make ahead"!
Stef said…
If you're ever in the mood Sara, its totally worth it the next morning. :)
I am one of those weird people that likes to cook and clean more at night. Its probably because I'm married to a major night owl. :)
Anonymous said…
Yum! I printed this out and plan to make it soon! Thanks for sharing!

Popular posts from this blog

One Thousandth blog post + GIVEAWAY!!

Blog Giveaway!!

keeping the sickies away