from four to five...

Life as a family of five really doesn't seem much different from life as a family of four... just the added happiness of a new little one in the home. All the excitement when she makes little noises, when her eyes open and make contact with us, when she holds on tightly to our fingers and anytime she even hints toward a smile, which we refuse to blame on gas.
Kara's name seems to suit her quite well. She is pure joy to our family. We all fight over who will hold her next and love to just sit and have her lay on us, telling her how sweet she is. Whoever said the 3rd (and beyond) child get no attention is crazy... never listen to such silliness. Maybe people with very short attention spans?

Our week has been lovely. We haven't done too much and I think that's what's been so nice about it. We stayed home from church on Sunday (obviously) and Ethan went to AWANA in the evening. Our meals from friends from church started arriving Saturday night, so I haven't had to cook any dinners. Its been amazing. Monday I took Kara to her 2 day check-up and though that was an all around weird and emotional experience (for me) it was fun getting out of the house, just the two of us. I'll be brief on that subject and just say... I don't know WHY ON EARTH they send mothers with brand new, tiny infants to Pediatrics when they're two days old! I had sick kids sitting all around me and kept worrying she'd catch something just from being there. It makes no sense and angers me greatly, so I'll leave it there.

We've gone to the park a few times and the kids have enjoyed playing in the front yard quite a bit. Jason stayed home from work on Monday and they loved having Daddy all to themselves, all day long. He went back to work Tuesday and I'm happy to say, the 4 of us managed quite well here. I had to pace myself, because I have the tendency to do too much too soon. I had some friends come visit on Tuesday (so fun!) and then in the evening we went out for a bit with Daddy and then had dinner at Baja Fresh. So yummy!

I've been loving my nursing cover. I can't believe I had two kids without one of those!
Kara is putting herself on an awesome schedule. I'm so proud of her! Her first two nights were bad... first night in the hospital she was so constipated, so she pretty much cried all night long. Finally around 6am, she went poo-poo and then slept the day away :) Saturday night she was so upset that my milk hadn't come in and so we had a similar night. She cried and cried and tried to nurse and was so upset and finally went to sleep around 5am.
Sunday my milk came in! So since then, she has been one happy camper. She eats every 2-3 hours during the day and usually about 20 minutes on each side. At night, she goes from 3-4 hours, nursing about 10-15 minutes on each side. So we're both quite happy. :)

Today was a great day... this morning we all got up and went to our favorite place for breakfast and then Jason left for work from there and I took the kids to play with the train table at the book store and then we ventured over to Target. I think we all had so much fun just being out of the house and feeling back to normal. We stopped off at a new favorite park of ours and I had them run their hearts out, knowing it would only make nap time that much easier. And it did! We came home and all 3 of the kids slept 3 hours!

I'm planning on going back to Bible Study this Friday and then park day afterwards. The kids are aching to see their friends again. Jason will be at a computer conference this weekend, so on Saturday, the kids and I are planning a little trip to Concord/Walnut Creek to do some shopping and visit my sister and her family's new house!
We're also hoping to have a visit from Jason's sister and her boyfriend. Kara hasn't met her Auntie Jenny yet and so we're hoping it works out for a visit with her as well!

Hope you're all enjoying October so far... we sure are. :)

Comments

jillyco said…
Sounds like all is well! Kara is such a cutie! We enjoyed our visit yesterday; Lizzy keeps asking "when can I go hold Kara again?" She's enamored! :)
Stef said…
It was so fun having you! Tell Lizzy she's welcome anytime. :)
Gina said…
So glad things are going well. After kid #2 the transitions are much easier. Sounds like you're doing an awful lot though...remember to SIT and relax as much as you can through the two week mark so as to be proactive and avoid complications. :-) Just a friendly reminder--and I know it's hard. :-) Take care.

Popular posts from this blog

One Thousandth blog post + GIVEAWAY!!

Blog Giveaway!!

keeping the sickies away