the way he thinks

Jason and I have been dealing with some character building issues with Ethan and recently a big one has been the fact that he is unwilling to hear and be happy with the word "no". It usually results in first, him giving us his idea (which is a nice way of saying manipulation) and when that doesn't get him what he wants, he will being the tears, stomping his feet and usually refusing to do what's asked of him, with a good attitude.
I've had several well meaning people at the stores and such tell me "If you just place him in an atmosphere where he doesn't need to be hearing no, you won't have this problem." Haha! If life were so simple. And, I don't believe for a second that our son would grow to be a healthy, happy and selfless person if we raised him like that. It terrifies me to think that some people are actually raising their kids that way. No wonder so many grown men are unable to control themselves.

A few weeks ago he started this new thing of interrupting us when we talk and saying "but, but, but, but, I WANT to!" So he was quickly told that he is not allowed to answer with such a disrespectful, self centered attitude, or else consequences will follow... and he knows what those are. When he starts doing it, we quickly remind him "Ethan... what is the appropriate response?" and he makes his sad, down trodden face and then will say "May I do/have that, please?" I love the dramatics. :)
So I went to pick him up from his class today at Bible study and I asked his teacher how he did. She told me he was a very good boy with his friends and for the most part, listened to her really well. She said that when she told the kids to clean up the toys, so they could start their craft, this was Ethan's reply to her --

"Um... I'm not allowed to say 'but, but, I don't want to!' So could you just let me keep playing?"

:)

Comments

Gina said…
Hey, at least he's thinking about it--it's a step in the right direction. :-) At least he's creative. I agree with you--I can't imagine just situating my child's whole life so that I wouldn't have to say "no". It's great and all when they are really little and may not fully understand, but at Ethan's age...yes, scary.
jillyco said…
Haha! Ah the honesty...

We still deal with this exact issue with Lizzy. It's exhausting sometimes, but oh what a blessing when you see the fruit of it! :)
Stef said…
Oh, I imagine we'll be dealing with Ethan on this issue for the rest of his life. Its something he'll probably always fight against. Thankfully we're making progress to where he'll actually submit cheerfully... but its not always that way. :)
Gina said…
Hey, at least he's thinking about it--it's a step in the right direction. :-) At least he's creative. I agree with you--I can't imagine just situating my child's whole life so that I wouldn't have to say "no". It's great and all when they are really little and may not fully understand, but at Ethan's age...yes, scary.

Popular posts from this blog

One Thousandth blog post + GIVEAWAY!!

Blog Giveaway!!

keeping the sickies away