Getaway

We took a rather last minute trip down to Monterey Sunday afternoon to Monday afternoon and had so much fun! It was very nice to get away, even if it was only a little over 24 hours. We brought the kids and overlapped my parent's 4 day stay and got to spend some time with them as well. The weather was beautiful and even though the kids both have colds, it was a pleasant trip. We had more melt down moments than usual :) but all in all, they did great.
Kara has officially been labeled our little "home body" and she got the official name on this trip. She just loves her crib, her home and her surroundings. She did well throughout both days and does great in the car, but does NOT like to sleep in motels. She takes after her Mommy :)
I think she slept a total of 2 hours on Sunday night, which means I slept about 1 hour. The yucky part about it was, she didn't really sleep until 6-8 AM.
After I had been up all night with her, we knew she needed at least a couple hours of sleep, so Jason got up at 6AM and took her for a drive. Here we are, the couple that swore we'd never do this and yet, we did. We don't plan at all to make this a habit, but we were desperate after she hadn't slept all night. And, we felt badly for bringing her to a place she wasn't comfortable. The drive worked and Jason says his bonus was getting to watch the sunrise. I have such an good husband. He never complained about driving his 5 month old daughter around Monterey, trying to lull her to sleep. He stayed out until almost 10AM, so she could definitely get some good sleep.

Sunday night was a ton of fun. We met up with our friends Brian and Shanna Denton (which several of you know) and their daughter Raysa. We ate dinner at our favorite pizza spot (Gianni's) and had a blast catching up. I grew up with Brian (we met when we were 4 and 5) and we haven't seen him and Shanna since Ethan was Kara's age. Waaaay too long. Our visit was extremely fun, but short. This part makes me laugh too - Shanna was out having pizza and ice cream with us last night and gave birth to their 2nd daughter this afternoon!
Aliya Grace was born around 2pm and is quite the cutie pie. Congrats guys!!

We had a lot of fun today, even though I was functioning off of about 90 minutes of sleep. I think its scary when Mom getting such little sleep is kind of normal.
We hit the Black Bear Diner for breakfast, followed by a visit to the Wharf. Our kids are learning to love Monterey as much as Jason and I do. Its so fun taking them there and watching them get a kick out of all my fun memories. The drive home felt long, probably because I was so sleepy, but the kids all did SO well. Half way through the drive I commented to Jason that we should really take a road trip since our kids do so well in the car. Now that they both know their letters, we played the alphabet game! Ethan got a kick out of that. I keep them happy with lots of snacks, games and on long trips, they get to watch a movie on the DVD player.

We're home, cozy in our house, getting ready for dinner, baths, bed for the kids and 24 for Jase and me. Life is good. :)

Comments

Gina said…
Sounds like a good trip overall. I love Jason's positive spin on drving Kara around--I mean really, how many sunrises do we see? And how many husbands could appreciate that? :-) And totally funny that your friend had a baby the next day--congrats to them! This makes two--Jen, and now them, that spend time with you and then deliver shortly after. I'll have to keep that in mind when my date nears. :-)
Stef said…
haha! not only do I guess genders, I can induce labor. :) Shanna's was a scheduled induction, so they did know she was going in the next day. She was dilated to 4 CM and out with us though! I couldn't believe it.
Maritez said…
I love that you took a spur of the moment getaway...we need more of those in our life :)
Maritez said…
I love that you took a spur of the moment getaway...we need more of those in our life :)

Popular posts from this blog

One Thousandth blog post + GIVEAWAY!!

Blog Giveaway!!

keeping the sickies away