oh, its March

Hi. What happened to February? Does anyone know? Is time going faster?
I can't believe we're already on March 2nd.
We had a very eventful and fun filled February, however a lot of our travel plans got canceled, due to our friends being sick and then our LA trip got canceled since it coincided with other plans. Both were rescheduled for March and April, which is kind of nice. Spreading them out a bit should work nicely.

On Saturday we went to my old church in Cupertino; the first church I really remember. We began going when I was 7 and we left in 1994 (I was 14) when we moved to Livermore. Leaving the church was hard. All my friends were there, most of my memories were there and I loved all the weekly programs and monthly/yearly events we went to. We drove into the parking lot yesterday and I instantly felt 10 years old. It was wonderful. Ethan had fun seeing where Mommy used to go to AWANA and where all my Sunday school classrooms were and meeting my friend's kids. So weird!

The church celebrated 50 years of existence and it was a real joy to see where God has brought them; to see that His word is faithfully preached and the people there have their hearts on fire to do God's work and spread His word throughout all the nations! It was a great day.
As I said on Facebook though, my most favorite memory was being back at the place where God saved me. That was the most awesome part. I've never been able to really pin-point a day when I was saved, or an exact time, but I know around what year it was. Yesterday, we were watching a picture slide show and then they played a video of our beloved Pastor Steele (he died in 1991) I had the most vivid memory of the day I believe God at least began His work in me. I remember our Pastor talking about missions and why we're here and what it means to do God's work and be busy in His business and I totally remember how it began to impact me. I looked up to Pastor Steele so much and yesterday I realized all the ways God used him most in my life --

he had the most practical, but intense relationship with God. He was all about living his life for Christ; never getting caught up in other garbage that Pastors can so often get caught up in. He viewed the church as God's church and because of that I can see how God grew and multiplied it and really caused that place to be used for His Kingdom. He was a servant. God's servant and he took his ministry as being a Pastor as just that, a ministry. He didn't view himself as the leader of the church. He viewed himself as "the shephered and servant" and he saw all of us as the leaders; taking what we heard each week, putting God's word into practice and living it out, to win others to Christ. But he was just a man, being led by the Holy Spirit and he saw himself as just that. God's instrument.

I had such a great time. I laughed, I cried, I was very nostalgic and I LOVED seeing so many old friends.
I also left very thankful for our church and so thankful for my two Pastors and their zeal for God and desire to only see Him worshipped, praised and reflected in our lives. God is so good. We are so very blessed.
I didn't get any pictures, which is a major bummer. Sorry Amber! I had hoped to take a few and send them to you, since you were unable to go. :(
Jason and I would like to go back and visit about once a year, so maybe next time I'll take a few.

Oh, for those of you who were unable to go (hint, Erin and Krista!) I do have on major complaint... the berry bushes are GONE! Julie and I noticed it right away and we were so bummed. Too many good memories playing in those bushes. Now its a walk way with a playground next to it. How exciting is that? Not very.
Wish you girls could have come. We missed walking down memory lane with you.

Happy March everyone!

Comments

Melissa Joy said…
Oh man... between you, Leah, and my grandparents I feel like I totally missed out. :)
I loved reading what you said about Pastor Steele. (Amen!) He has had a lasting impact on our family as well. He was a dear friend of my father, and we still talk about him not infrequently. It is wonderful to see how God uses His people in His kingdom.
And ((sniff, sniff)) for the berry bushes. I remember popping those in my mouth, trying not to stain my Sunday dresses.
I have dreams (fairly often, actually) of Valley, and the sanctuary balcony & the women's restroom are always included. Isn't that strange?? haha.
Erin said…
I am very sad I missed. But, We really wanted to get better from being sick. And, the kids were still hacking - so it would not have been nice to get everyone else's kids sick!
I am glad you had such a great time!
I think I have seen the new playground area, sans the berries. What a heartbreak. Nothing stays the same.
Krista said…
It sounds like everyone had a great time! Leah had the same sort of reaction- realizing how much God had impacted her through Valley. So many great memories!

Somehow I knew those berry bushes were gone... I don't remember why I went there, but went for some event. I remember being all traumatized when they took out all the trees and bushes bordering the lawn! :)

Popular posts from this blog

One Thousandth blog post + GIVEAWAY!!

Blog Giveaway!!

keeping the sickies away