seeing Him at work

Jason and I have been talking a lot lately about how God's presence is not only obvious to us, but so overwhelming! The other day we decided that each evening we're going to ask each other "in what ways did God show Himself to you today?" and then it will get some good, healthy discussion flowing. Maybe a dinner time conversation with the kids, even!

Many of you know that Jason was laid off a couple weeks ago. He was basically told "the company isn't doing well and if we let you go, we think we can save enough money to survive a little longer." It was actually a layoff like "as of now, you have no job." Thankfully, his friend he works with went and fought for him and got him until the end of April. In the meantime, Jason hit the road running, looking for a new job. I am SO thankful for a husband that doesn't put the important things on the back burner; thankful that he spent hours and hours putting in resumes, calling old contacts and getting the word out that he was "on the job market", all while working 8 hour days for a company that was letting him go. What a man!
He interviewed for another job the day he found out about his layoff and its actually the job he ended up accepting as of this morning! This is with a much more established company up in Roseville and the pay is better, the PTO is way better (3 weeks!) and the medical benefits are amazing. We feel so blessed. And we know God never promised us a comfortable life, where we see prayers answered so obviously and so quickly. Sure, we have our trials and times of stress and the unknown, but one thing I wanted to give public thanks to God for (without sounding like I'm patting myself on the back) is that I've seen an area in my life where He has greatly changed and molded me over the years. I'm finally seeing progress!!
I am not a patient person, I like to worry and I typically jump to the worse case scenario. I like to plan ahead and cannot stand being surprised by life. A surprise party? Sure. But a "surprise, I've lost my job, the mortgage is due, our car payment is over due and this kid needs to finish college!" ? no thanks. Jason can testify to me being a major worry wort. Its something I've battled for years and I've dealt with that attitude of "no God, let me help you". Its also known as, a lack of faith. I think when our faith is lacking, God will not use us in ways we might want Him to. When our kids trust us enough to lead them and guide them, that's when we allow them to take bigger steps and give them those awesome opportunities.
A child that will always 2nd guess you, or question everything you say, or try to fix everything you do, will cause you to pull back and hold back freedoms and blessings.

When Jason called me a few weeks ago and said "I lost my job, as of today." My first (and surprising) reaction was "Lets see how God is going to provide for us - He always has and won't stop now." I told him I knew he'd be able to find work and promised him I would "pray without ceasing" until he got a new job. I felt peace, calmness, surity, understanding and total hope in God. I found myself saying things like "I already know your character, Lord. I don't need to ask you why You're this or why You're doing that. I already know the answer. You do all things well and understand exactly what we need and what we can handle. This layoff was not a surprise to You."

I think its good to stop and see how God is changing character. Its good to see growth and to thank Him for it. He is very much alive and at work in His people.
I love reflecting. I find that it keeps me from becoming a naval gazer, depressed or feeling like I just can't amount to anything. God already did the amounting for me. He's done the work, I just need to obey, follow, trust and serve.

So this post is just to share about the work God is doing in my life. I hope you'll stop and reflect on what He's done and doing in yours!

Comments

Emily said…
This is great, Stef. Will Jase have to commute to Roseville, or can he work from home? I'm praising God right along with you for His provision. He's amazing, isn't He?
Melissa Joy said…
Oh Stef that's wonderful, thanks for sharing! My husband was laid off in the exact same manner (he said, "it's the beginning of something new -- I don't know what yet, but it must be" hehe), and he has been so diligent and purposeful over the last six weeks of job searching & applying & interviewing. We really see God at work, in how He provides daily "bread". So while we pray fervently for a new job in His faithful timing, we are excited to say that God has provided a 30 day contract with a company, and continue to pray that He will provide something new before that ends. Because you're right, He is so faithful, and we do not fear "what shall we wear or what shall we eat." Praise the Lord.
Many blessings to you in this season!
Gina said…
So excited for you and Jason that he was able to find work so quickly. I wish Johh's industry was filled with as many opportunities. But, as the Lord has a plan that I just am not privvy to, we wait and pray that a job is offered sooner than later--the mortgage (and other things) call to us! :-) There are blessings in every trial, and as long as we remember to highlight those, the journey is easier to manage.

Popular posts from this blog

One Thousandth blog post + GIVEAWAY!!

Blog Giveaway!!

keeping the sickies away