turning into an infirmary

We're turning our home into an infirmary, just so you know. We're going on 5 weeks of at least one person being sick here. Kara and I are yet to really get sick. I've not even started to, but she has kind of flirted with it, but each time she ends up passing it by (thank You, Lord!).
Ethan and Rachel have had these annoying colds the longest and yesterday I knew it was probably not going away due to infections. So today the girls and I ventured to Kaiser to find out that Rachel does, in fact, have 2 inner ear infections. Poor girl. Explains why she's been up in the night crying.
She checked Kara's ears for me (since Kara had an infection 2 weeks ago) and she said her ears are infection free, thanks to the Antibiotics. Yay!
Ethan goes in tomorrow, when we'll be checking for strep throat.

I'm so ready to move on and be healthy again. Tonight I got very serious. They had baths with eucalyptus drops in the water (Rachel's favorite), got out of the bath and had meds, eye drops and chest rub. Got into beds, plugged in humidifiers with eucalyptus drops, doors shut, sound asleep. I'm hoping all that makes a difference.

Poor Ethan is going nuts being locked up in the house for 5+ days. When it began raining, I was so thankful to have the wet weather (because we need it here in CA) but I knew it was only going to add to him feeling clustered up in the house. I felt at the end of my rope with him today. He was bouncing around, being too rough with Rachel, not listening to a word I was saying and then woke Kara and Jason up from their naps... I was so upset. I sent him straight to his room, telling him I had no idea why he did such naughty things. Ha! I seem too often to forget their just kids. I find myself asking them why they're not using the logic of an adult. Wouldn't that be nice!
He came out of his room about 20 minutes later and with a very sorry look on his face he came up to me and whispered: "I'm sorry I was obnomskus and didn't listen to you." I died laughing, realizing the word he was trying to say was "obnoxious." I asked him "where did you learn what that word meant?" and he smiled and said "From you! You teach me all the good words!" Hahahaha! If only he knew. :-)

I've been so tired lately; tryng to keep up with house hold stuff, cooking and taking care of my dear sick people. But one wonderful thing I've been able to realize is how much I love my family. How much I love my kid's imaginations, how much I miss my healthy husband and love his personality when he's not sick :-), how much I love Kara and those sweet moments she and I steal throughout the day. Life has such difficult moments in it. Its definitely not all roses and chocolates. I often tell my single friends this when they tell me how they're aching to be married and live the life of bliss. I have to tell them, because I love them. I don't want them thinking its stress free. Kids are amazing and our spouses are amazing, but it all takes work, effort, strength, an enormous amount of hope in Christ, leaning on Him for everything, knowing without Him... it would all be in vain.

Sometimes I stop and wonder, is *this* God's purpose for bringing us through this season? I mean, its great my kid's immune systems are being built up to be nice and strong, but I often wonder... why is He making us stop, slow way down and just be here, together. Jason and I moved the TV out of our bedroom and for us, this has been a huge blessing. We no longer lay in bed at night and watch "lazy TV" as I like to call it. It was distracting and we decided to take the distracion away. So we've been enjoying some amazing late night conversations, which always make me laugh and tell him "this reminds me of sharing a room with Trisha and talking all night long, totally regretting it the next day!" And, my sweet husband does exactly what my sweet sister used to do... as soon as he lays his head on the pillow, you might has well stop talking, because he *will* fall asleep and you *will* be talking to yourself. :-)

Once again, I have no idea why I'm even writing this post, other than to catch you readers up on what we've been up to (and this should explain why the lack of exciting posts lately).

In the midst of great trial and stress, I'm always amazed at how God can make those times so special and treasured.

Comments

Emily said…
Matt is asleep the second his head hits the pillow, too. Ha ha!
I hope everyone feels better soon.
Gina said…
I really like how you summed up married life with kids--"Kids are amazing and our spouses are amazing, but it all takes work, effort, strength, an enormous amount of hope in Christ, leaning on Him for everything, knowing without Him... it would all be in vain."--so well put!
jillyco said…
Sorry you guys have had such a rough winter. Praying for health at your house! And I love your story about Jason falling asleep as soon as you start talking. Kenny does the same thing. :)
Denise said…
I hate having sick kids. Today Brayden had a 102 fever, coughing and throwing up. This is actually the first time this season though one of my kids has gotten sick so I really can't complain. I just hope he is healthy enough for Easter. I understand what you are going through. They will get healthy again!
Nicola said…
Thanks for your encouragement Stef. So well put about life and family. You hit the nail on the head that family and our walk and hope in Christ is the most important part of life.
Nicola said…
Thanks for the encouragement, Stef. You really hit the nail on the head. Our families and our walk and hope in Christ and what He's done for us is the most important part of life. Keep trusting, the fam will get better.
Nicola S. said…
Thanks for the encouragement, Stef. You really hit the nail on the head. Our families and our walk and hope in Christ and what He's done for us is the most important part of life. Keep trusting, the fam will get better.

Popular posts from this blog

One Thousandth blog post + GIVEAWAY!!

Blog Giveaway!!

keeping the sickies away