We made it!

I love my kid's first birthdays. Such big celebration and not really for the child at all, but mostly for the parents. We have fun inviting our closest friends to help us celebrate the first year and its more of a way for us to say "Yay! We made it through the first year!" Huge accomplishment.

Our week/end is about to get very busy, so I'm going to post about Kara's 1st year milestone now, instead of on Saturday, when she actually turns one.

We are amazed at how quickly she's taken to walking. You only see her crawl when she's stuck somewhere and can only get through by crawling. She learned how to walk even keeping her hands at her side. I remember Ethan would hold his high up in the air and Rachel held hers out to the sides. Kara is also our earliest walker. Ethan was 15 1/2 months and Rachel was almost (brace yourself) 18 months old! She was just at the 17 1/2 month mark. So for us, this is way early.

Just in this past month she has gotten such a little personality. She has an amazing sense of humor. I love that she actually tries to get people to laugh. She makes weird faces, noises and body gestures and when she sees it makes you laugh, she looks like her job the day is done. :)
She also has a serious side to her though. Loves to study things, take things apart, put them back together and figure things out on.her.own. I can hear it now "I do it." I'm sure it will be one her first phrases. She is very attached to me, but at the same time, very independent.
I guess as long as she feels secure, then her independence shines through.

She says "Mama" and "Dada" very clearly. Her version of Ethan is "E-Ah" and Rachel comes out "Ra-Ra". She knows how to say dog, kitty, duck and cow and she tries really hard to make the proper animal sounds for each. She has the dog bark and the duck quack down great.

She's drinking regular milk now, which is so weird! I feel like I wasn't quite ready for the sippy cup phase. She still typically takes 2 naps, which is nice.

She's such a sweetheart. Jason and I find ourselves saying it all the time - "You're such a sweet baby, Kara." She goes with flow very nicely and truly has been an amazing addition to our family. I love that Ethan and Rachel are just fascinated by her - they think she's the best thing ever. Ethan is still a little bitter that she's not a baby anymore. He has his talks with me where he reminds me that I once told him I was having a "baby sister" for him and he likes to let me know quite often that she's not truly a baby anymore. I get out the photos and try to show him how he was once a baby and grew to be almost 5, but to him, it was a promise and I broke my word.
Someday I'll make it up to him :)

So we're here. The one year mark is upon us and I cannot believe how fast it went by.

Happy birthday, to our sweet Kara!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Thousandth blog post + GIVEAWAY!!

Blog Giveaway!!

keeping the sickies away