Heaven's peace and perfect justice, kissed a guilty world in love

What is love? Ethan asked me this the other day and I actually stopped and had to think about my answer. Its such a loaded word. Its packed full of so much emotion and can have such a long description. I pointed out to him what my love for him is, what Jason's and my love for each other is and what his love for us is. Then pointed those types of love to a Love greater than any earthly love we'll ever know; God's love. As the days have passed, that conversation has been mulling itself over in my brain and when that happens, I know its either God telling me I'm not giving a matter to Him and resting in His care, OR, He's giving me something great and wonderful to spend my time meditating on. In this case it was the latter of the two :-)

I want to be a person who loves others. And not just because they're cute, lovable people... but because I know that God created them, loves them and has called me to show Christlike love to them. That means love without status, condition, or any hidden motive. Its hard, yes. Much easier said than done. Especially for those who make it especially difficult to love them. Its almost like some people go out of their way, trying to get you to hate them. Either way, Christlike love is what we read about in
1 Corinthians 13....
*its patient
*its kind (look up kindness in the dictionary sometime - might surprise you)
*it does not envy another
*its humble, not boasting or proud (its easy to put others down when we think too highly of ourselves.)
*it is not rude -- this one is a killer; very loaded and yet, so basic.
*it looks to the well being of others and doesn't seek itself.
*it keeps NO record of wrongs. This would mean it forgives easily and quickly.
*it takes no delight in evil, but rejoices with what is true. This means it doesn't sit around taking offenses and putting its own assumption on a matter, but being hopeful and relying on what is true.
*it always protects. Not itself, but others.
*Always trusts.
*Always hopes.
*Always preserves
*Never fails. It doesn't give up.

True Christlike love is lovely. It comes in the purest form and asks for nothing in return. There's no check list.
I want to see a homeless person and immediately feel love and concern for that dear soul. Not judging them right away, summing them up in my mind; deciding I know exactly what's in that person's heart, just because I've had some bad experiences with other homeless people. I want to reach out more, be more available to those who are hurting, weak, suffering in some way or just haven't had anyone (ever) show them Christlike love. Do you know how common those people are?! I'm amazed how often I stop long enough to talk to a teenager I see in Starbucks or the man I spoke to the other day at Costco, who commented on my loving attitude toward my kids. His response when I told him that its easy to love your own kids, since they're part of you and so precious to you... "Well, I'm part of my Mom and Dad and never felt half an ounce of the love I've seen you show your kids in the past 10 minutes." 

... Sad.

I actually walked away from him and cried. I would say he was around 50 years old. He had true sadness in his eyes and it was like I could see a hole in his heart. I shared with him (albeit briefly) where the source of my love comes from and encouraged him to find a local church where he can meet people who will show him the love he's looking for and be able to point him to the One who loves more than even a Mom or a Dad ever could. He looked lost and hopeless. I walked away and thought of the times I've met a grumpy or disgruntled person and walked away with such judgmental, holier than thou thoughts of them. Shame on me. If God had looked upon me with such "love" He would've passed right by my ugly heart.

It is hard to love, serve and give to people who don't always return the love back to you. Its rough. It often times leaves me feeling sad, shot down and defeated. But remember that God sees our every deed, our every motive, our every thought and hears every word spoken in His Name and He won't let those things go unnoticed. If our motives are pure and honest before God, He will reward us for them. Not always here, but we're called to look to Eternity anyway, right? Laying up treasures in Heaven; not here on earth. Matthew 6:20

Another point to remember is that as God's children, He's called us to obey this command - "love the Lord with all your heart, soul and mind... and love your neighbor as yourself." He doesn't say, if its a good week for you, if you're not too high strung or emotional, if the person is a lovable person. He commands us to love. Its not a request.

These are things I've been meditating on this week and wanted to share. I have such a long way to go. Sometimes I think the longer I live the MORE I have to learn. I think its because the more I learn about and get to know my Savior, the more I realize how much I need His grace and how far I have to go. I'm so thankful for a Father who knows my weaknesses and sympathizes with me. Understands I will fall and is faithful and merciful to pick me up, time and time again. Forgiving the thousandth time I ask in faith, with true repentance.

I want to be able to say "I love you" to someone and have it really mean something. Not be just a cliche saying that we say to people we have warm, fuzzies for. Or to only be something we say to someone who is loving in some way toward us.

Have a blessed week!

Comments

wedogmomma said…
Our first pastor used to give this definition:
Love is a choice to sacrifice for the good of others and is motivated by God.

It still sticks with me.

Thank you for this post....
I'm walking away thoughtful
:D
Stef said…
thanks, Nikki. Thank you for reading... I know I'm VERY long winded, so I never blame people for not reading this stuff.

Love, Stef
Gina said…
What a wonderful post and quite a joy to read. I love the comment you made about needing to learn more the longer you live--I totally agree! Love is such a hard choice sometimes, but it's so rewarding if we choose it. I want to love like Christ too! May you make large strides in this area and fill your heart with loving rewards. :-)
Stef said…
thanks, Gina. I really appreciate your feedback. This post has been one of the most meaningful for me.

Popular posts from this blog

One Thousandth blog post + GIVEAWAY!!

Blog Giveaway!!

keeping the sickies away