Secretly Simple...

I'm always on the look-out for sauces & marinate to use on our meat when I cook. Especially during the summer months, when BBQ'ing is very in. In the last 5+ years, I've been learning how to make most sauces from scratch... 
During my pregnancy with Ethan we discovered I had an allergic reaction to MSG. Put a damper on eating out and eating most anything I didn't make from scratch. It wasn't a severe allergic reaction, but enough that it kept me from eating stuff that obviously had MSG in it. Then during Rachel's pregnancy it was bad... really bad. I had a few nights where it was difficult to breath and I almost thought Jason would have to rush me to the ER. Thankfully trying a few "at home remedies" kept us from ever going in -- sitting up {as apposed to laying down}, drinking lots of water, getting fresh air and sometimes even having to use an inhaler. I basically learned during Rachel's pregnancy that I needed to stay away from the stuff, and to become educated on its various names, to see which foods it was hidden in. When I'm not pregnant I don't have as bad a reaction to it, but I've noticed its become progressively worse after each child. During Kara's pregnancy the reaction was bad and post pregnancy its stayed pretty strong. Anyway, this keeps me from enjoying many dressings and sauces {among other things} and I'm Italian, which means I love dressings and sauces. Okay, I made that up - not sure if Italians across the board love the stuff, but I do. 
In my Real Simple magazine this month I found a yummy {we're talking, delicious} BBQ sauce recipe. I made it for the kids and I the other night and they gave it 2 thumbs up! 

Secretly Simple BBQ Sauce: 
makes 2 cups

1 TBL olive oil 
1/2 small onion, finely chopped 
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 cup ketchup 
1/4 cup cider vinegar 
1/4 cup molasses 
2 TBL brown sugar 
2 TBL Dijon mustard 
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce 
1 TBL chili powder 
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (opt) 
Kosher salt & black pepper 

* Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 3-5 minutes. 
*Add the ketchup, vinegar, molasses, brown sugar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder cayenne pepper (if using), 3/4 cup water, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 12-15 minutes. The sauce will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. 
*To use: Baste poultry, meat, or seafood with the sauce during the last few minutes of grilling. Serve extra sauce on the side for dipping & enjoy!


Comments

Flourishing said…
Do you have a typed list of other names MSG goes by? I have always been curious. I know it is often listed as "other natural ingredients/flavors".
Stef said…
sure! here is a website that was super helpful for me. I also know by my reaction to things - so if I eat something and react badly, I know not to eat that again. Or, I can go get an ingredient list of that specific food and see what it was :)

http://www.msgmyth.com/hidename.htm
Gina said…
Not totally related, but once you made oatmeal pancakes for me--can you e-mail me the receipe? Thanks!
Stef said…
Yes! We love those pancakes. I'll email you the recipe, Gina :)
Stef said…
sure! here is a website that was super helpful for me. I also know by my reaction to things - so if I eat something and react badly, I know not to eat that again. Or, I can go get an ingredient list of that specific food and see what it was :)

http://www.msgmyth.com/hidename.htm
Stef said…
Yes! We love those pancakes. I'll email you the recipe, Gina :)

Popular posts from this blog

One Thousandth blog post + GIVEAWAY!!

Blog Giveaway!!

keeping the sickies away