the quick and simple

One major thing I desire my kids to see is Matthew 11:28-30 lived out. 

"Come to me all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 
Take my yolk upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, 
and you will find rest for your souls. 
For my yolk is easy and my burden is light."

To follow Jesus and give your life to Him doesn't mean a life of sudden do's and don'ts and it certainly doesn't mean a life of sadness or constant grief over what a terrible person I am.
Do my kids really see the joy of the Lord in me?
Do they see me giving each burden to Jesus?
Do they know from watching Mommy every day, that following Jesus is yes, a life of putting sin to death; putting off the old man and putting on the new creature in Christ.... but do they see that tried in my strength or do they see it done in God's strength and power? Can they see him working his perfect will out in me, or will walking with God look to them like a life of me struggling to try and be as perfect as I can be. These are questions I've been asking myself this week. What does my relationship with God look like, lived out before these 4 little people I minister to every day?
Do I pray for blessings and then complain when they don't come just as I asked?
Do I belly ache and grumble when something isn't going my way?
Do I love and serve their Daddy and them with gladness?
Do they see me delighting in God's word, or dragging myself to it each day because I view it more as just another thing to 'check off my list of things to do today'.

Ethan asked me a few days ago - "why do you read your Bible in the morning?"
I felt myself pause for a while before answering because I wanted to be 100% honest with him.
I told him that its always because I know I need to; because I know its good for me to start the day off with truth and wisdom from God.
But I told him that it should always be, because I crave time spent with God.
I compared it to when he looks forward to Jason coming home from work each night. He gets excited to tell him about his day, to ask him questions he's been waiting to ask all day, etc...
He has that anticipation and excitement to 'meet with Daddy' at the end of the day - so I should have that same anticipation and excitement to meet with God every day.

So it hit me during that conversation- do my kids really see me reading God's word with joy and anticipation and even excitement? Or do they hear me sigh under my breath as I sit, complaining out loud that I just know a million things will interrupt me now that I've sat down to be holy.
Okay, so I've never actually said those words out loud, but I bet it definitely comes off in my attitude!

These are things I'm praying about. Things I'm asking the Holy Spirit to continue working in me and out of me.
I want what comes out of my mouth to be an accurate representation of what's in my heart.
And this post ended up not being as 'quick' as I intended. I can't help it... I type as fast as my brain thinks ;-)

Have a blessed day everyone! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Thousandth blog post + GIVEAWAY!!

Blog Giveaway!!

keeping the sickies away