Recipe: Italian Meat Soup

My friend asked me to post this recipe after I shared a picture of it on Instagram.
My girls are sick this week with bad colds and when anyone in our house gets sick, I make this soup with a couple alterations.

makes 8-10 servings 
cooks for 5 hours on high in crockpot


I got this recipe (different name) out of my crockpot cookbook, but I've taken some ingredients {like potatoes} out and added a few of my own.
You can add or take away from this soup - that's what I love most about it. I've added quite a few things and sometimes I just put whatever I have on hand.

4 carrots, sliced.
1 onion, chopped
2 cups zucchini, chopped
2 TBSP chopped parsley {I used Italian parsley}
2 garlic cloves, minced {when we're sick, I do 4 garlic cloves}
3 tsp. beef bouillon {I use my homemade bone beef broth instead}
1 TBsp dried basil
1 TBsp Italian Seasons
1 1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
{add whatever other seasonings you like that would go with this}
1/4 - 1/2 tsp red pepper cayenne flakes.
16 oz. can red undrained kidney beans
3 cups water {I use 1 cup water and 2 cups of my beef broth}
14 1/2 can Italian stewed tomatoes, with juice.
1 lb your favorite meat. I've used Italian sausage, ground beef, ground bison and chopped leftover ham.
Have fun with it :)

add all ingredients to slow cooker, put water in last - do not stir - 
I like to grill the zucchini on the stove first and I add it to the soup during the last 30 minutes of cooking, but you don't have to.
Also, cook any of the meat you use, prior to adding it to the crockpot.
cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or high for 5 hours.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Thousandth blog post + GIVEAWAY!!

Blog Giveaway!!

keeping the sickies away