tomorrow.

Tomorrow begins a new journey for me. I'm venturing out to do somethings I've never done before and things I would've said no to, just a few years ago.
Earlier this year Jason and I were introduced to Classical Conversations, {which is basically a Christian co-op} and within a few weeks of researching it, we knew it was exactly what we had been looking for. The missing link in our homeschooling, as it were.

Then came the decision that I would be a tutor for the program and actually lead a class of parents/kids.
I knew it was a big decision and I knew it would hold a lot of responsibility with it, but every time I prayed about it, I felt God telling me it was what I needed to do. To be brave, step out of my comfort zone, and do what I'd normally hide from. It shocks most people when I tell them I hate public speaking... but I do. I can't stand it and it goes against every fiber of my being. But I keep finding myself walking into opportunities where I do just that - speak to larger groups of people.
I like when God takes a fear of ours and shows us that with His help, we can do anything.

Tomorrow begins the training week for me and 2 of our 4 kids will be going to a camp all day where they will learn about Geo drawing {I have no clue, so don't ask} among other things.
We're all going to meet new people, we're going to learn a lot of new things and we're going to get our first taste of what the new school year holds.
I'm excited and nervous all wrapped up in one. I've printed off all my paperwork, organized my stuff, laid out clothes, packed lunches, cleaned up the house, packed the kid's supplies and my driving directions are in my phone and ready to go!

Tonight I'm feeling nervous, scared, excited, ready, not-so-ready... but most of all, thankful. 
I'm thankful for this opportunity and thankful for the community of like minded families that we'll be joining. I've already met several of our new friends and knew immediately that we're gonna have some fun this year :)
I'm thankful for a husband who's prayed with me through this, talked {a lot} with me through the decision making process, weighing pros and cons, finalizing our plans and telling me over and over again "you're gonna do great" in those moments when I told him I couldn't do it.
He's been my number 1 fan through the past 3+ years of home schooling and I'll say it until I'm blue in the face -- you cannot home school, let alone raise a family, without your man right at your side. I'd be a mess if I were doing any of this alone or even mostly by myself. Jason is extremely involved and it makes a world of a difference. I have ladies tell me all the time "I don't know how YOU do it." and I tell them, "Its not a ME thing. Its our whole family."

So I'm thankful.

And for the first time in my life... I can't wait for the school year to begin! :)





Comments

Charlotte said…
I am very excited for you! One of my good friends is becoming the director of a CC group in my area, so she is sharing with me all the hard work that goes on behind the scenes.

For our family it is too much of a financial commitment, even with me becoming a tutor, plus I have heard that it is harder for the older kids to get into the CC model if they weren't taking it before. I really like what I see there (for the most part) and I am glad you have this opportunity ahead of you! I can't wait to see how God leads your family through this. :-)
Stef said…
Thanks Charlotte! I appreciate that.
The cost thing is high with home schooling. I wonder if CC cost different amounts in different states? We're doing a full year of school for $1,200 and will make about that in tutor payment.
Going through the public school system has definitely been nice because they pay for books, but then we're limited on what we can buy.

I'd love to know some ways that you've found to cut costs (so far I've found lots of books for CC on Amazon that are much cheaper, which was a huge surprise!)

WIll you email me when you get a chance?
W and J said…
So excited for you!!! I hope you blog about this journey or at least talk about it. You are my second close friend to turn CC. ;) So intrigued and hope to learn a lot from you!!!
Melissa Joy said…
We don't have any CC in our region (yours is probably closest to us, haha!), but I am intrigued, and excited to follow (if you'll post about it) how God uses this to challenge, encourage, and bless you six.
Also, I need to memorize that simple little phrase: "It isn't a ME thing. It's the whole family." Thanks for that: it's going in my pocket.
Melissa Joy said…
Okay, so the very afternoon after I commented here, I heard about a CC orientation in a nearby town. Talk about irony. ;)
Stef said…
Melissa, that's too funny! Small world :)

Popular posts from this blog

One Thousandth blog post + GIVEAWAY!!

keeping the sickies away

Blog Giveaway!!